Congressional Art Competition
Each spring, the Congressional Institute of the U.S. Congress sponsors a nationwide high school visual arts competition for students in grades 9-12 to recognize artistic talent in each Congressional District (CD). This year, Congresswoman Julia Brownley invites you to create a piece of art to participate in the CD 26 competition. A panel of local artists will select the winner, and the winning artwork will be publicly displayed at the U.S. Capitol Building for one year. The winning student and one adult will be flown to Washington, D.C.
GUIDELINES: Please visit www.house.gov/content/educate/art_competition to review complete guidelines.
- Competition open to all students in grades 9-12 who reside in California’s 26th Congressional District.
- 1st Place Piece can ultimately be no larger than 26”x 26” x 4”, with a required frame. *Please note the change in dimensions.*
- Artwork does not have to be framed at time of consideration. Artwork, on paper, may be displayed using push pins so please provide acceptable border for this purpose.
- Artwork cannot exceed 15 pounds, including frame, and must be two-dimensional.
- Accepted mediums are as follows:
Paintings: oil, acrylics, watercolor, etc.
Drawings: colored pencil, pencil, ink, marker, pastels, charcoal
Collage: must be two-dimensional
Prints: lithographs, silkscreen, block prints
Mixed Media: Use of more than two mediums
- Each entry must be original in concept, design and execution and may not violate any copyright laws.
- 1st Place Piece will hang in the Capitol for an entire year and cannot be returned to the student earlier.
STUDENT INFORMATION/RELEASE FORM: Download at https://juliabrownley.house.gov/sites/juliabrownley.house.gov/files/2017%20Student%20Release%20Form%20Draft.pdf
Form must be attached to back of artwork and signed by the student, a parent/guardian and teacher.
HOW TO SUBMIT: Artwork must be dropped off between 2:00-4:30 on
Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at Studio Channel Islands Art Center (SCIART):
2222 E Ventura Blvd. Camarillo, CA 93010.
If you require alternate drop off accommodations, please call Cheri Orgel at (805) 379-1779.
QUESTIONS: Contact Cheri Orgel at (805) 379-1779 or e-mail Cheri.Orgel@mail.house.gov
If you would like more information on the annual Congressional District Art Competition - including this year's deadlines - please submit the following form.
* indicates information that you need to provide.