Each spring, the Congressional Institute of the U.S. Congress sponsors a nationwide high school visual arts competition for students in grades 9-12 to recognize artistic talent in each Congressional District (CD). This year, I invite you to create a piece of art to participate in the CD 26 competition. A panel of local artists will select the winner, and the winning artwork will be publicly displayed at the U.S. Capitol Building for one year. The winning student and one adult will be flown to Washington, D.C.
Competition open to all students in grades 9-12 who reside in California’s 26th Congressional District.
- 1st Place piece can ultimately be no larger than 26”x 26” x 4”, with a required frame.
- Artwork does not have to be framed at time of consideration. Artwork, on paper, may be displayed using push pins so please provide acceptable border for this purpose.
- Artwork cannot exceed 15 pounds, including frame, and must be two-dimensional.
- Accepted mediums are as follows:
- Paintings: oil, acrylics, watercolor, etc.
- Drawings: colored pencil, pencil, ink, marker, pastels, charcoal
- Collage: must be two-dimensional
- Prints: lithographs, silkscreen, block prints
- Mixed media: Use of more than two mediums
- Computer-generated art
- Each entry must be original in concept, design, and execution and may not violate any copyright laws.
- 1st Place piece will hang in the Capitol for an entire year and cannot be returned to the student earlier.
- 2nd-4th place will be displayed in District office for 1 year with student’s permission.
Learn more about the rules and guidelines here.
STUDENT INFORMATION/RELEASE FORM: Download here.
Form must be attached to back of artwork and signed by the student, a parent/guardian, and teacher.
HOW TO SUBMIT: Artwork must be dropped off between 9:00 am-5:00 pm on or before
Wednesday, May 1, 2019 at either my Thousand Oaks or Oxnard district offices.
Thousand Oaks: 223 E. Thousand Oaks Blvd #220 Thousand Oaks, CA
Oxnard: 201 E. Fourth St. #209 B Oxnard, CA (Please call in advance for this location)
If you require alternate drop off accommodations, call Ashley Orozco at (805) 379-1779.