Each spring, the Congressional Institute of the U.S. Congress sponsors a nationwide high school visual arts competition for students in grades 9-12 to recognize artistic talent in each Congressional District (CD). This year, Congresswoman Julia Brownley invites you to create a piece of art to participate in the virtual art competition. A panel of local artists will select the winner, and the winning artwork will be publicly displayed at the U.S. Capitol Building for one year. The winning student and one adult will be flown to Washington, DC, pending the status of the coronavirus pandemic. To view the full rules, click here.
- Virtual competition is open to all students in grades 9-12 who reside in California’s 26th Congressional District.
- 1st Place Piece can ultimately be no larger than 26”x 26” x 4”, with a required frame.
- Artwork does not have to be framed at time of consideration as only digital images are required for submissions. Original, framed artwork will be requested at a later time from the winning entry.
- Artwork cannot exceed 15 pounds, including frame, and must be two-dimensional.
- Accepted mediums are as follows:
Paintings: oil, acrylics, watercolor, etc.
Drawings: colored pencil, pencil, ink, marker, pastels, charcoal
Collage: must be two-dimensional
Prints: lithographs, silkscreen, block prints
Mixed Media: Use of more than two mediums
- Submissions must be original in concept, design and execution and may not violate any copyright laws. 3 digital images of the piece are required for submission.
- 1st Place Piece will hang in the Capitol for an entire year and cannot be returned to the student earlier.
STUDENT INFORMATION/RELEASE FORM: Download the form here.
This form must be emailed with email submission.
HOW TO SUBMIT: Up to three digital images of the artwork and the Student Information/Release form must be emailed to CA26art@gmail.com before 5:00 pm on or before Monday, May 1, 2023. Only email submissions will be accepted.
QUESTIONS: Contact Sara Ruiz at (805) 379-1779 or e-mail Sara.Ruiz@mail.house.gov.