Frequently asked questions for those seeking a Service Academy nomination. You may also fill out a Service Academy Nominations Form.
Service Academy Information Nights
If you are considering applying to the Naval Academy, Air Force Academy, Merchant Marine Academy, or West Point, don’t miss one of these opportunities to ask questions of their representatives. You can also learn more about the Congressional nomination process. Visit JuliaBrownley.House.gov/Events or call (805) 379-1779 for more details about these events.
What is a nomination?
Members of Congress may nominate applicants who meet the eligibility requirements established by law. A candidate may seek a nomination from the following:
- A member of the U.S. House of Representatives who represents the Congressional district in which the candidate resides
- Both U.S. Senators from his or her state
- Apply directly to the Vice President of the United States
What are the basic eligibility requirements?
Each applicant for a nomination must meet the following eligibility requirements as of July 1 of the year of admission to an academy:
- Age: Be at least 17 years old, but not past their 23rd birthday
- Citizenship: Must be a U.S. citizen
- Marital Status: Must be unmarried, not pregnant, and without legal obligation to support children or other dependents
- Residence: Must reside within the boundaries of the 26th Congressional District of California.
- Skill / Fitness: Must meet the medical, physical, and academic requirements of the Academy.
What are the SAT and ACT requirements?
Students should be aware that schools are no longer permitted to release SAT and ACT scores with a student’s official transcript. Students must have their SAT and/or ACT scores sent directly to Congresswoman Brownley’s office. Congresswoman Brownley’s SAT Code is 4309. Congresswoman Brownley’s ACT Code is 7265.
Who do I contact to request an application?
Complete the Service Academy Nominations Form.
When do I apply for a nomination?
Students can begin applying in February of their Junior year or after they graduate from high school.
What is the deadline for completing a nomination file?
The deadline for submitting a nomination packet to my District Office is October 12, 2022. Please contact my office at 805-379-1779 for more specifics.
What must be included in my nomination file?
A complete nomination file consists of the following items:
- Completed Application
- Current photo
- High school transcript
- American College Testing Program (ACT) results and/or College Board Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT) results
- Resume of extracurricular activities
- Minimum of two letters of recommendation
- Form completed by your school guidance counselor
Letters of recommendation should be sent directly to Congresswoman Brownley’s Thousand Oaks office by the author.
What happens after I have completed my nomination file?
Applicants who submit a completed nomination file will be scheduled for an interview in December.
What criteria is used in selecting candidates?
Nominations are based on a “whole person” evaluation. Factors such as academic achievements, extracurricular activities, leadership skills, physical aptitude, character, and motivation are taken into consideration and compared with other applicants.
How many academies are there?
There are five service academies.
- U.S. Military Academy at West Point, New York
- U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, Maryland
- U.S. Air Force Academy at Colorado Springs, Colorado
- U.S. Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point, New York
- U.S. Coast Guard Academy at New London, Connecticut
Are the requirements the same for all of the service academies?
No. Although many of the qualifications are similar, each academy operates under its own admissions guidelines. Visit the academy of your choice via the websites noted for each academy’s particular admissions qualifications. It is not necessary to seek a nomination to the Coast Guard Academy, as the U.S.C.G.A. accepts candidates based on their own testing criteria.
Who should I ask to write a letter of recommendation on my behalf?
Some of the people applicants typically seek recommendations from include:
- Scout Leaders
I do not require a specific recommendation form. A letter of recommendation is sufficient.
Will I automatically be selected by the academy after I receive a nomination?
No. You will be placed among a select group of nominees, and the academy of your choice will make the final decision. If selected, you will receive an offer of admission (an appointment) directly from the academy.
What if I choose more than one academy? Will I be limited to a single nomination?
No. You can be nominated to multiple academies depending on how well you have competed among this year’s pool of candidates. It is also possible to win multiple appointments.
When will I know if I have been offered an appointment by an academy?
Academies will begin to notify candidates of their admission status in February. All offers of appointment are generally sent out by May.